injured worker getting hand wrapped

Were you injured at work?

When you need workman’s comp attorneys you can trust, Arthur Crum will help you navigate Maryland workman’s comp laws. Here are the details you need to know about workman’s comp from the firm where the client is always our first priority.

What is Workman’s Comp in Maryland?

In Maryland, workman’s compensation covers work-related illnesses and injuries that happen while on the job. It is a type of no-fault insurance that employers carry. If you suffer a workplace injury, you are entitled to:

  • Two-thirds of your lost wages
  • Disability benefits
  • Doctor’s visits, treatments, and prescriptions
  • Any ER trips or hospitalization
  • Necessary surgical procedures
  • Physical therapy
  • Equipment for physical assistance
  • Modifications to your home
  • Some vocational training

According to workers’ comp in Maryland, you are entitled to death benefits if someone dies due to a work-related injury or illness.

Who Carries Workman’s Comp Insurance?

Maryland law requires businesses with one full- or part-time employee to carry workers’ comp insurance. Agricultural companies with less than three employees and a payroll of less than $15,000 per year are exempt.

To file a claim, you do not have to prove employer negligence, and laws are in place to protect you from retaliation. Businesses that do not carry the required coverage can be fined up to $10,000. If your boss tries to deduct any of these costs from your paycheck, it’s a misdemeanor.

How do I Know if I’m Eligible?

You are not eligible for benefits if you are:

  • An independent contractor
  • A business partner
  • A sole proprietor

You must be an employee that works for someone else. You are an employee if your boss:

  • Pays you a salary, whether hourly, weekly, or monthly
  • Schedules your working hours
  • Informs you of when you can take lunch and breaks
  • Provides the tools you need to do your job
  • Directly supervises your work
  • Pays for work or travel expenses
  • Provides employee benefits, like PTO days

What Claims Might be Denied?

Your place of business may fight or deny your Maryland claim if your situation:

  • Is not work-related
  • Was self-inflicted
  • Happened while you were impaired by alcohol or drugs
  • Happened while you were involved in illegal activities
  • You have a pre-existing medical condition that brought this on

Denied claims can be appealed with the help of your attorney through an MWCC hearing, the Maryland Circuit Court, or the Maryland Appellate Court.

How do I Report a Claim?

Here are the steps you need to take immediately if you or someone you love is injured at work.

  • In writing, report it immediately at work, and provide proof (like a medical report or photos). Although you have ten days to tell your employer, do not delay.
  • All illnesses due to working conditions or hazards must be reported within one year. Again, this is not something you should delay. Report it to your workers’ comp representative as soon as possible.
  • Make sure an Employer’s First Report of Injury form is submitted on the MWCC website by your place of business.
  • Seek immediate medical treatment. Ask for documentation from your doctor or healthcare provider. Follow all advice and plans of treatment without fail. If you are given a prescription for medication, take it only as prescribed.
  • Fill out and then submit the Employee Claim Form C-1 on the MWCC website. Ask that a hard copy be mailed upon receipt. You have 60 days to complete this, yet time is of the essence, so please complete it as soon as possible.

With FREE initial consultations, it’s worth the call to Arthur Crum, who will work hard to ensure you’re compensated. He is the personal injury attorney in Frederick, MD, whom you can trust. Make the call!

CategoryWorkers Comp

Copyright © 2024 Law Office of Arthur Crum. All Rights Reserved. Designed by ArachnidWorks, Inc.